Benefits Of Using Top Coat And Base Coat With Nail Polish
Before you start practising on how to apply polish on your own, it is necessary to know the differences between the top coat and base coat. Many of us don’t know the real benefits of using a base coat or are in too much of a hurry hence we go straight to doing the manicure.
In the past I would go straight to using polish without a base coat and over time, the polish discoloured my nails leaving them dull and unattractive. It is important to be aware of benefits accrued to using both a base coat and a top coat.
The base coat is applied on your nails before you apply the nail polish you desire. Although some products combine both the base coat and top coat, it may not be as effective since both are designed for different purposes. Here are some benefits of using a base coat.
- Bright colored or darker nail polish can stain your nails and give them a pale color. This reaction can occur in a matter of days or weeks of applying the polish depending on the person. A base coat creates a barrier between your nail and the polish hence preventing any discoloration from happening.
- A base coat provides a smooth base for the nail polish to spread evenly. It will also help the polish to stick better hence making it more durable. Some base coats are made in milky and thicker form to be able to fill the ridges and smoothen out the nail bed.
- Some base coats have nail hardening properties that help to harden your nails preventing breakage. The base coat does not cause discoloration to your nails.
- Many base coats are fortified with substances like Vitamin E, proteins and calcium that keep the nail healthy and strong preventing splitting and peeling.
A top coat is a clear nail polish usually applied over dried nail polish. They create a barrier surface preventing chipping of the nail polish and giving it a gloss-shine look. A good top coat can keep even cheap nail polish looking good for a few more days longer. Some other benefits of using a top coat are:
- Top coat gives a high gloss and shine to applied nail polish and makes it feel smooth.
- It helps your manicure stay fresh and look younger for a longer time.
- It hides some minor flaws on your nails such as dents and lines that y accidentally pass on your nail polish before it dries up completely.
- It makes it easier to cling or fix nail art accessories on your nails.
Different brands of top coats and base coats work differently with every person so choose one that works best with you. In case you have sensitivity to nail polish, you should be careful since base coats have a higher resin content that regular nail polish and are the cause of many nail allergies. If your budget allows, invest in a dedicated top and base coat from a renowned brand. With all these in mind, you can try to do your own mani at home and not have to worry about keeping your nails healthy and well nourished.